Does your film career need a turbo boost?
Applications are invited for a new mentoring programme
The Producers’ Forum is proud to announce the launch of Foot Up: a professional development and mentoring scheme in conjunction with Creative Alliance and supported by Creative Skillset’s Film Skills Fund, with BFI’s Film Forever National Lottery funds.
The programme will help early and mid-career film industry professionals who come from diverse backgrounds. The scheme is free and includes 4 days’ of mentoring, a variety of master classes and participation in action learning sets, all taking place from October 2016 through January 2017 to achieve the following aims:
- improve and develop skills to move on to bigger projects
- work closely with an established industry mentor
- to enhance the skills base of working professionals available to productions working in the West Midlands
- to develop the film industry in the region by providing more local crew.
The scheme is not limited to a particular discipline; it is open to writers, DoPs, Directors, Costume Designers, Make Up Artists and indeed any area within the world of film. There is a requirement that participants come from the West Midlands (in its widest sense).
(Please note: This programme is not aimed at entry-level professionals; the separate Foot In The Door scheme is for new entrants.)
You must be able to demonstrate a track record of paid work in your chosen discipline and the ambition to move on to larger things.
Expectations of participants on this programme
The expectations are that you will make the most of the opportunity. We will give you support where needed. You must be available for the initial workshop on the morning of Monday 10th October.
You will be required to attend 4 monthly master class sessions (monthly from November to February) as well as monthly Action Learning sets (3 hours each).
You agree to respond to requests for feedback and evaluation of the programme.
The Process for Applicants
- Download application here
- Deadline for applications is 30 September.
- The outcome of your application will be notified by email by 6 October.
- Those who are successful are required to attend a half-day session the morning of Monday, 10 October, (10:00 till 13:00) which kick starts the programme and is to help you get the most out of the mentoring that will be available to you. Venue TBC (Central Birmingham).
- Overall there are 4 days of mentoring available to you which will be a combination of time when you shadow your mentor, a half day when your mentor shadows you and time for overall advice and guidance and a professional critique, which can be a mix of face to face as well as email, phone and Skype. We will do our best to match you with a mentor that best suits your needs and area of development.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, 30 September and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state in subject line Foot Up: Mentoring to Get On.